Blind Union always makes every effort to improve the quality of living of the visually impaired through information technology. Our Accessible Digital Technology Centre provides various kinds of services to achieve this goal, the scope of service includes:
- conducting research and development on assistive aids suitable for visually impaired persons
- providing visually impaired persons with technical support and training in the use of computer hardware and software
- promoting the adoption of accessible digital technology designs and application
- providing related advisory services to individuals, schools, employers and organizations
Digital technology projects and business﹕
- Smart City Walk Project
- Jockey Club E-Learning For All Project
- Digital Accessibility Consultation Service
- Tap My Dish mobile menu app(Chinese version only)
Training and IT interest group
To encourage visually impaired persons to make more use of information technology in order to live a life without barrier, our Union regularly runs various training courses covering the use of computer and assistive tools. Experience in using information technology is also being shared with our staff.
Blind Union also has an IT equipment room, where 12 computers, all fitted with various assistive tools, are available for use by members. Should members run into problems in the course of operation, they are welcome to seek the advice of staff members on duty.
In addition, members may contact staff of the Accessible Digital Technology Centre during opening hours of the Centre by phone or by e-mail. We are most willing to answer members’ questions on the application of information technology. In case that members have further needs, they may contact the Accessible Digital Technology Centre to schedule meetings for staff of the Centre to personally answer questions on the use of information technology.
IT experiences shared by visually impaired
Technology development is closely related to our daily life. Nowadays, computer software and mobile applications not only enhance the connection between visually impaired persons and the community, but also let them live their life more convenient. Let’s share the experience of visually impaired persons using varies software as well as mobile applications. Please check the links below for further details.
- iPhone App (Chinese version only)
- Android app (Chinese version only)
- Other Applications (Chinese version only)
Research & development on assistive aids
With the help of assistive aids, such as screen reading software, screen magnifying software and Braille display, the visually impaired people can also use computers and get access to electronic information as sighted persons. In this connection, Blind Union has been actively developing assistive software to meet the special needs of local users. We also conduct research on latest mainstream and assistive software and hardware, and introduce them to our users if deemed suitable.
Assistive aids developed by Blind Union
- EasyDots Chinese Input Method (Windows version)
- EasyDots Chinese Input Method (macOS version)
- HKBU Add-on 2023.08 (for NVDA screen reading software 2023.2 version or newer version)
- HKBU Add-on 2023.02 (for NVDA screen reading software 2023.1 version)
- HKBU Add-on 2022.04 (for NVDA screen reading software 2022.1 version)
- HKBU Add-on 2021.08 (Only support NVDA 2021.1 to NVDA 2021.3.5)
- P-BRITE (Version 1.1.6)
- Tap My Dish (iOS version)
Software given above is for use and download by members at no charge. Visually impaired persons not being a member of our Union, charity organizations, educational bodies and members of the public are required to purchase authorization before they may use NVDA (HK Add-on) and BRITE。
Accessible Digital Technology Newsletter
It reports on the latest news about information and correspondence technology concerning the visually impaired, introduces products, and gives little hints on the application of information technology. This is a free electronic newsletter. Subscriptions from individuals and organizations are welcome. One wishing to subscribe for it may e-mail to email@example.com and enter the words “subscription for Newsletter” in the subject box. Please also leave your name, telephone number and district of residence.
click here to read the newsletter
Accessible Digital Technology Centre
Tel： (852) 27095559
Fax： (852) 23387850
Address：Unit 13-20, G/F, Tsui Ying House, Tsui Ping Estate, Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong